When fire, smoke or water unexpectedly damage your home, the first steps you take could mean the difference between a small cleanup and a more costly and time-consuming restoration.
First Steps after Water Damage occurs:
WHAT TO DO
- Damage from water and bacteria growth can begin within hours. Call for professional help.
- Remove as much water as possible by mopping and blotting.
- Remove wet area rugs or other floor coverings not permanently attached. Do not attempt to start removing your wall-to-wall carpet.
- Lift draperies off the floor, loop through a plastic coat hanger and place the hanger on the drapery rod.
- Wipe furniture, prop up wet furniture cushions for even drying and place aluminum foil under furniture legs.
- Move photos, paintings and art objects to a safe, dry location.
- Do not remove books from shelves. Instead, pack them tightly to prevent warping of pages until a restoration professional can begin this specialized drying.
- Open drawers, closets and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
WHAT NOT TO DO
- Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity has been turned off.
- Do not use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- Do not lift tacked-down carpet without professional help.
- Do not use electrical appliances while on wet carpet or flooring.
- Do not disturb visible mold.
Knowing when to call in a professional can also save you time in getting your life back to normal and money by preventing further damage to your home.
ServiceMaster of Calgary’s team of restoration professionals are here to help return your home to normal as quickly as possible while restoring your peace of mind that the job was done right.